Community Royale - A Clash Royale Community driven forum

CWA & Seth discuss Goblin Giant, EBarbs, RG, update, and more.

MasterCalMasterCal Posts: 2,138Moderator
edited September 3 in General Discussion
CWA's latest video is an interview of TheRumHam (who admits he'd prefer being called Seth, so that will be what I refer to him from now on :crsmirk:) and they discuss a multitude of topics. It's a 30 minute video, but definitely worth watching. It includes some Goblin Giant gameplay in the background. Video is here

I'll include a summary here if you don't want to see the whole thing (though I for sure recommend it. I really enjoy hearing both prominent community/dev members speaking their minds, being transparent, and most of all respectful and humble).

Note, the summaries will be a rough estimate of what Seth said. It might be very similar to what he actually said at times, other times it might be just a paraphrase.

On Goblin Giant

Goblin Giant is supposed to replace Giant in some decks. Particularly, the ones where it's a split push/opposite lane, or bridge spam (like Giant Double Prince). Classic decks is returning to Clan Wars, and there will be new decks (including a Goblin Giant Double Prince deck)

On game balance as a whole

Around 40-50 cards are considered balanced. Most of the others right now are underpowered or underused. Even if the game was somehow "perfectly balanced" some cards would remain underused and others overused (example: Bomber underused, Zap/Log overused, Witch receiving many buffs-to be discussed later)

On Royal Giant

A rework is on the way, by the end of the year. It will change multiple stats and make it easier to react to, but be more punishing if the opponent lacks a real counter in hand. Atrocious TS User rates and win rates, as we all know. But even on Ladder, it's only really used between 4K-4.5K at average use and win rates.

On Elite Barbarians

Trickier than RG because it's a much more popular Ladder card. Possible rework coming by end of the year. (He said more, but it boils down to that)

On other cards

Cards that have a niche role (lower use rates, higher win rates, higher skill cap) are very healthy for the game. Ideally, new cards are not supposed to be plugged into every deck, especially the more expensive cards. The team did not expect Royal Recruits to be used in all archetypes. They knew the card was strong, but figured the RR would be more niche due to its cost.

Witch is a prime example. She has been underpowered and unable to carve out a niche for virtually the whole game's existence. Small buffs continuously hadn't done much to change that, so they decided to make her skeleton spawning more prominent, as that is her main feature, rather than a lesser Wizard. In a vacuum, the Witch wasn't a problematic card. However, they also realized that Valkyrie and Poison, two of its best counters, were popular, and in CRL when those two cards got banned, she'd be used more. They decided to nerf her along with the Valk nerf.

Don't expect a Bowler or Hunter buff. The team considers those cards good in their niches.

Likewise, no Hog Rider nerf. It's a strong card that is very easy to use and pretty straightforward. Win rates are no better than 20th in the game.

The team opted to go with a hitspeed nerf to the Valk rather than an HP nerf as more people suggested because the Valk was supposed to be a mini tank that did splash. Removing her HP takes away from the mini tank role as Knight currently has a better HP per elixir ratio than Valk does. A hitspeed nerf makes her more vulnerable to heavy hitters (as she's a swarm specialist). Also, the hitspeed nerf separates her from the Dark Prince's 1.3 S hit speed.

On Overleveling

Overleveling isn't a balance issue, it's an economy issue. The only way for a player to manipulate getting cards is through the request system, or getting lucky in a chest/the Shop. The team is introducing some "Player Initiative Measures" over the next few updates to make it easier for players to upgrade cards as they see fit and be easier to adjust decks/cards. Trade Tokens are the first in a line of changes. More will come in the next update(s).

-I (as myself) would assume that economy improvements have taken precedent over custom tournaments/heroes

On Future cards

"Never say never." Expect to see cheaper, more versatile cards coming soon, as many recent cards are costlier (Royal Hogs, Rascals, RR, GobGi, etc.)

0 elixir cards are next-to-impossible to come to the game. If they did, there'd be a "penalty" of sorts to yourself, kind of as a risk-reward factor (examples, elixir production freezing up for 5 seconds, lose some tower HP). They'd be a status card with penalties, not like 1 skeleton due to cycle reasons.

Don't rule out a Legendary building coming to CR. No concept has been explored deeply though beyond the prototype stage.
ntinoskonstaferrell34dude2050
pv7u5U6.jpg

CR Stats PB: 4609 KT: 12. Card lvls: Mostly 11 with some lvl 10 Rares and lvl 12 Commons 88/89 cards unlocked. IGN: Hardcase Royale.

Please read the Forum Rules

Want to see if you are on the forum leaderboards? Post in this thread to see if you have enough to qualify.

Follow me on Twitter: @MasterCalCR. Discord: MasterCal #7507

Comments

  • SupercellUserSupercellUser Posts: 51Member
    i was about to post that!?
    Supercell User
  • ferrell34ferrell34 Posts: 1,257Member
    Communication keeps getting better and better. It's a shame that CWA didn't ask about what role does the CR community had in the progression of the game, like how helpful our presence for them and the game - and why. But, i guess he already did a pretty good job on his part - after all, it's nice to hear about the team's opinion and plans for the game first.
    EarthThis signature is my city
  • killerkiller Posts: 1,059Member
    Some of this you posted is discouraging.

    On ebarbs and RG:

    the idea that they would jigger some stats and fix ebarb and/or RG is shockingly inept. The issue with these cards as everyone knows is the rarity. If you make them viable in tournaments they will be unstoppable on ladder as they will be overleveled. This sounds like they’re going to further ruin ladder again for some pointless drive to get people to play these cards in tourneys. Its as they’ve learned nothing from their mistakes the last few years.

    Re HOG- 20th highest win rate out of 80+ cards seems pretty significant to me. On top of that this stat doesn’t take into account its use rates... its the #1 used wincon card on ladder and no other is even close. Also.. the winrates I don’t believe take into account card levels. Ebarbs are listed as one if the top winrates for a wincon card on ladder. But we all know because they are always overleveled relative to opponents cards. Hog, as I’ve listed with evidence before, is often leveled below the average wincon at a particular cuprange. Meaning its much stronger then its winrates might indicate. But mostly many of us are just sick of playing against hog decks 30-40% of all matches.

    On Overleveling—
    An economy issue? No.. its an issue that some cards are too easy to level. And they say the only way for a player to manipulate is through the request system?!? What about the shop? And how people manipulate it is really irrelevant... the reason they’re haven’t been able to balance ebarbs or RG ever is because if the system they’ve put in place and the rarity issue.
    vouz81kqd95y.png
    Two decks:
    Ram/exe/miner/tornado/ggang/poison/log/goblins
    Rhogs/tesla/valk/musk/fireball/zap/ggang/bats
    Signature art by JcttehTheWise
  • MasterCalMasterCal Posts: 2,138Moderator
    killer wrote: »
    Some of this you posted is discouraging.

    On ebarbs and RG:

    the idea that they would jigger some stats and fix ebarb and/or RG is shockingly inept. The issue with these cards as everyone knows is the rarity. If you make them viable in tournaments they will be unstoppable on ladder as they will be overleveled. This sounds like they’re going to further ruin ladder again for some pointless drive to get people to play these cards in tourneys. Its as they’ve learned nothing from their mistakes the last few years.
    They're not trying to straight up buff EBarbs and RG. They're trying to make them easier to deal with when bridge spammed and not be as devastating, but at the same time make them viable if the opponent lacks a proper counter.
    Re HOG- 20th highest win rate out of 80+ cards seems pretty significant to me. On top of that this stat doesn’t take into account its use rates... its the #1 used wincon card on ladder and no other is even close. Also.. the winrates I don’t believe take into account card levels. Ebarbs are listed as one if the top winrates for a wincon card on ladder. But we all know because they are always overleveled relative to opponents cards. Hog, as I’ve listed with evidence before, is often leveled below the average wincon at a particular cuprange. Meaning its much stronger then its winrates might indicate. But mostly many of us are just sick of playing against hog decks 30-40% of all matches.
    I'm also sick against playing Hog 1/3 of the time. But if he's the 20th in terms of win rates, that means other cards are in line for a nerf before Hog is. I'm not saying all 19 ahead of him would need a nerf as some would be niche cards or not used as often. And sometimes Hog is underleveled/equal, other times he's overleveled. I'm seeing lvl 9 Hogs around 4.4k, but also lvl 10 and 11 Hogs about as much as well.
    On Overleveling—
    An economy issue? No.. its an issue that some cards are too easy to level. And they say the only way for a player to manipulate is through the request system?!? What about the shop? And how people manipulate it is really irrelevant... the reason they’re haven’t been able to balance ebarbs or RG ever is because if the system they’ve put in place and the rarity issue.
    That is an economy issue, because you get way more commons than rares or epics per chest thus making them easy to upgrade. Yes the Shop is where they can manipulate it but you have to have that card(s) show up and be willing to spend gold or gems to get it.

    pv7u5U6.jpg

    CR Stats PB: 4609 KT: 12. Card lvls: Mostly 11 with some lvl 10 Rares and lvl 12 Commons 88/89 cards unlocked. IGN: Hardcase Royale.

    Please read the Forum Rules

    Want to see if you are on the forum leaderboards? Post in this thread to see if you have enough to qualify.

    Follow me on Twitter: @MasterCalCR. Discord: MasterCal #7507
  • GiorgakisGiorgakis Posts: 2,828Member
    MasterCal wrote: »
    killer wrote: »
    Some of this you posted is discouraging.

    On ebarbs and RG:

    the idea that they would jigger some stats and fix ebarb and/or RG is shockingly inept. The issue with these cards as everyone knows is the rarity. If you make them viable in tournaments they will be unstoppable on ladder as they will be overleveled. This sounds like they’re going to further ruin ladder again for some pointless drive to get people to play these cards in tourneys. Its as they’ve learned nothing from their mistakes the last few years.
    They're not trying to straight up buff EBarbs and RG. They're trying to make them easier to deal with when bridge spammed and not be as devastating, but at the same time make them viable if the opponent lacks a proper counter.
    Re HOG- 20th highest win rate out of 80+ cards seems pretty significant to me. On top of that this stat doesn’t take into account its use rates... its the #1 used wincon card on ladder and no other is even close. Also.. the winrates I don’t believe take into account card levels. Ebarbs are listed as one if the top winrates for a wincon card on ladder. But we all know because they are always overleveled relative to opponents cards. Hog, as I’ve listed with evidence before, is often leveled below the average wincon at a particular cuprange. Meaning its much stronger then its winrates might indicate. But mostly many of us are just sick of playing against hog decks 30-40% of all matches.
    I'm also sick against playing Hog 1/3 of the time. But if he's the 20th in terms of win rates, that means other cards are in line for a nerf before Hog is. I'm not saying all 19 ahead of him would need a nerf as some would be niche cards or not used as often. And sometimes Hog is underleveled/equal, other times he's overleveled. I'm seeing lvl 9 Hogs around 4.4k, but also lvl 10 and 11 Hogs about as much as well.
    On Overleveling—
    An economy issue? No.. its an issue that some cards are too easy to level. And they say the only way for a player to manipulate is through the request system?!? What about the shop? And how people manipulate it is really irrelevant... the reason they’re haven’t been able to balance ebarbs or RG ever is because if the system they’ve put in place and the rarity issue.
    That is an economy issue, because you get way more commons than rares or epics per chest thus making them easy to upgrade. Yes the Shop is where they can manipulate it but you have to have that card(s) show up and be willing to spend gold or gems to get it.

    Unfortunately that could mean the death of my Royal Giant deck. This is because my deck revolves around being countered really challengeing and even if he is countered, I would counter the counter with Sparky or my air swarms. And on 3.8k, that deck worked with a Level 10 Royal Giant quite well. After the rework I will be forced to overlevel him to be viable. And on the challenges that deck will be worse because it was made purely for ladder. So I will be dissapointed for sure.
    TH9xMZx.jpg0

    Worship the 9 Titans (Golem, PEKKA, Lava Hound, Dragon, Giant Skeleton, Scorcher, Super PEKKA, Electro Dragon, Goblin Giant)
    Their card
    Obey the 4 Immortal Armies (Skeleton Army, Minion Horde, Goblin Gang, Critter Swarm)
    Teach the 12 Titan Babies (Golemite, Mini PEKKA, Baby Dragon, Lava Pup, Sparky, Inferno Dragon, Ice Golem, Balloon, Cannon Cart, Dropship, Flying Machine, Deployable Turret)
    Protect the 12 Peasants (Skeletons, Goblins, Spear Goblins, Minions, Bats, Critters, Fire Spirits, Ice Spirits, Crystal Critters, Critter Bats, Explosive Drones, Beta Minion)
    Babysit the Titan Grandchild (Zappy)

    Check my AMA here
    Play in these Forum Games: Buy, sell, trash, Grant the Wish above you, Hurt and Heal, Complain the Card above you for the stupidest Reason, Admire the card above you for the smartest Reason, Two Lies, One Truth, Keep One, Drop One, Trash a Card, TPBM Game
    Show your feedback for these card ideas: Cold Skeleton, Thorns, Armored Giant, Battle Zeppelin, Medicine, Blessing, Dragon, Deployable Cannon, Warrior, Heavy Elite Barbarian, Boom Cannon, Crusher, Microwaver, Rocket Launcher, Barbarian Launcher, Grappler, S.I.M.O. Tower, Double Cannon, Flamethrower, Giant Hut
    This is my favorite discussion ever (not created by me): https://communityroyale.com/discussion/1676/how-arena-1-has-mirror-0-max-trophy#latest
  • MasterCalMasterCal Posts: 2,138Moderator
    Giorgakis wrote: »
    MasterCal wrote: »
    killer wrote: »
    Some of this you posted is discouraging.

    On ebarbs and RG:

    the idea that they would jigger some stats and fix ebarb and/or RG is shockingly inept. The issue with these cards as everyone knows is the rarity. If you make them viable in tournaments they will be unstoppable on ladder as they will be overleveled. This sounds like they’re going to further ruin ladder again for some pointless drive to get people to play these cards in tourneys. Its as they’ve learned nothing from their mistakes the last few years.
    They're not trying to straight up buff EBarbs and RG. They're trying to make them easier to deal with when bridge spammed and not be as devastating, but at the same time make them viable if the opponent lacks a proper counter.
    Re HOG- 20th highest win rate out of 80+ cards seems pretty significant to me. On top of that this stat doesn’t take into account its use rates... its the #1 used wincon card on ladder and no other is even close. Also.. the winrates I don’t believe take into account card levels. Ebarbs are listed as one if the top winrates for a wincon card on ladder. But we all know because they are always overleveled relative to opponents cards. Hog, as I’ve listed with evidence before, is often leveled below the average wincon at a particular cuprange. Meaning its much stronger then its winrates might indicate. But mostly many of us are just sick of playing against hog decks 30-40% of all matches.
    I'm also sick against playing Hog 1/3 of the time. But if he's the 20th in terms of win rates, that means other cards are in line for a nerf before Hog is. I'm not saying all 19 ahead of him would need a nerf as some would be niche cards or not used as often. And sometimes Hog is underleveled/equal, other times he's overleveled. I'm seeing lvl 9 Hogs around 4.4k, but also lvl 10 and 11 Hogs about as much as well.
    On Overleveling—
    An economy issue? No.. its an issue that some cards are too easy to level. And they say the only way for a player to manipulate is through the request system?!? What about the shop? And how people manipulate it is really irrelevant... the reason they’re haven’t been able to balance ebarbs or RG ever is because if the system they’ve put in place and the rarity issue.
    That is an economy issue, because you get way more commons than rares or epics per chest thus making them easy to upgrade. Yes the Shop is where they can manipulate it but you have to have that card(s) show up and be willing to spend gold or gems to get it.

    Unfortunately that could mean the death of my Royal Giant deck. This is because my deck revolves around being countered really challengeing and even if he is countered, I would counter the counter with Sparky or my air swarms. And on 3.8k, that deck worked with a Level 10 Royal Giant quite well. After the rework I will be forced to overlevel him to be viable. And on the challenges that deck will be worse because it was made purely for ladder. So I will be dissapointed for sure.

    We don't know exactly what the rework will be, or if it will even be effective. I don't think you'll have to overlevel him to be viable on your non 0 trophy account
    pv7u5U6.jpg

    CR Stats PB: 4609 KT: 12. Card lvls: Mostly 11 with some lvl 10 Rares and lvl 12 Commons 88/89 cards unlocked. IGN: Hardcase Royale.

    Please read the Forum Rules

    Want to see if you are on the forum leaderboards? Post in this thread to see if you have enough to qualify.

    Follow me on Twitter: @MasterCalCR. Discord: MasterCal #7507
  • killerkiller Posts: 1,059Member
    MasterCal wrote: »

    We don't know exactly what the rework will be, or if it will even be effective. I don't think you'll have to overlevel him to be viable on your non 0 trophy account

    I dont see how they can rework RG when the issue is its rarity. If they balance it for tourneys you’ll have the same issue they had previously with RG and Ebarbs where everyone in the mid range has maxxed RGs (fighting against lvl9 hog and giants, etc)
    vouz81kqd95y.png
    Two decks:
    Ram/exe/miner/tornado/ggang/poison/log/goblins
    Rhogs/tesla/valk/musk/fireball/zap/ggang/bats
    Signature art by JcttehTheWise
  • SupercellUserSupercellUser Posts: 51Member
    They working on royale giant on a few more balance change probably between christmas and march or maybe april then elite barbarian. Royal giant should be nerf to 5 Exlir because it weaker than giant and it cost more exlir. They need to make royal giant much more powerful than giant and elite should be able to do like knock out a sheild in one shot instead of two shot. Their might even be a need troop card in october their will never be a lengendary bulding and their might be emote i beleve lumbjack because someone show supercell lumbjack emote. so their might be suprise they didnt announce barbarian emote i will be waiting for october update.
    MasterCal wrote: »
    Giorgakis wrote: »
    MasterCal wrote: »
    killer wrote: »
    Some of this you posted is discouraging.

    On ebarbs and RG:

    the idea that they would jigger some stats and fix ebarb and/or RG is shockingly inept. The issue with these cards as everyone knows is the rarity. If you make them viable in tournaments they will be unstoppable on ladder as they will be overleveled. This sounds like they’re going to further ruin ladder again for some pointless drive to get people to play these cards in tourneys. Its as they’ve learned nothing from their mistakes the last few years.
    They're not trying to straight up buff EBarbs and RG. They're trying to make them easier to deal with when bridge spammed and not be as devastating, but at the same time make them viable if the opponent lacks a proper counter.
    Re HOG- 20th highest win rate out of 80+ cards seems pretty significant to me. On top of that this stat doesn’t take into account its use rates... its the #1 used wincon card on ladder and no other is even close. Also.. the winrates I don’t believe take into account card levels. Ebarbs are listed as one if the top winrates for a wincon card on ladder. But we all know because they are always overleveled relative to opponents cards. Hog, as I’ve listed with evidence before, is often leveled below the average wincon at a particular cuprange. Meaning its much stronger then its winrates might indicate. But mostly many of us are just sick of playing against hog decks 30-40% of all matches.
    I'm also sick against playing Hog 1/3 of the time. But if he's the 20th in terms of win rates, that means other cards are in line for a nerf before Hog is. I'm not saying all 19 ahead of him would need a nerf as some would be niche cards or not used as often. And sometimes Hog is underleveled/equal, other times he's overleveled. I'm seeing lvl 9 Hogs around 4.4k, but also lvl 10 and 11 Hogs about as much as well.
    On Overleveling—
    An economy issue? No.. its an issue that some cards are too easy to level. And they say the only way for a player to manipulate is through the request system?!? What about the shop? And how people manipulate it is really irrelevant... the reason they’re haven’t been able to balance ebarbs or RG ever is because if the system they’ve put in place and the rarity issue.
    That is an economy issue, because you get way more commons than rares or epics per chest thus making them easy to upgrade. Yes the Shop is where they can manipulate it but you have to have that card(s) show up and be willing to spend gold or gems to get it.

    Unfortunately that could mean the death of my Royal Giant deck. This is because my deck revolves around being countered really challengeing and even if he is countered, I would counter the counter with Sparky or my air swarms. And on 3.8k, that deck worked with a Level 10 Royal Giant quite well. After the rework I will be forced to overlevel him to be viable. And on the challenges that deck will be worse because it was made purely for ladder. So I will be dissapointed for sure.

    We don't know exactly what the rework will be, or if it will even be effective. I don't think you'll have to overlevel him to be viable on your non 0 trophy account

    Supercell User
  • SupercellUserSupercellUser Posts: 51Member
    other thing royale giant perfect of using is like 3 to 5 and elite barbarian perfect is probably 3 to 7% it say some where in youtube but i forgot the link
    Supercell User
Sign In or Register to comment.
This content is not affiliated with, endorsed, sponsored, or specifically approved by Supercell and Supercell is not responsible for it. For more information see Supercell's Fan Content Policy:www.supercell.com/fan-content-policy.