Community Royale - A Clash Royale Community driven forum

[One and only] Zap balance discussion

JcttehTheWiseJcttehTheWise Posts: 2,022Moderator
edited March 2018 in Card Balance Discussion
Hey there!

As the most used card in arena 11 and Challenges, with almost 60% usage rate, with The Log as the second most used card with 20% less usage rate, Zap is clearly the best cheap spell, providing a fast response to swarm and stun, which is very useful against Inferno Dragons, which are also pretty popular. Also, as a common card, is easier to level up tan the Log, despite Log is usually level independent.

Imo, zap needs a nerf. Mainly because of Arrows, which despite their usage rate is not too low, they almost doesn't exist in competitive.

Sooo what nerf? Deploy delay? Less damage? Less stun time?

My sugestion is to reduce zap's range from 2.5 to 2.

The reason behind this nerf is because high range is what makes Arrows and The Log special, more concretely Arrows. Reducing Zap's range should encourage players to use other cheap spells, making it quite harder to kill a full skelearmy or zapping a good ammount of cards at the same time.

What do you think?
Zap alance discussion
  1. What do you think about Zap?15 votes
    1. Needs a large nerf
        6.67%
    2. Needs an average nerf
        0.00%
    3. Needs a small nerf
      33.33%
    4. Completely balanced
      40.00%
    5. Needs a small buff
      13.33%
    6. Needs an average buff
        0.00%
    7. Needs a large buff
        6.67%
Forum Moderator and hobbyish doodler
y550ls9wbwod.png
I like underused stuff...

Comments

• GiorgakisGiorgakis Posts: 3,175Member
    Its deploy delay is what makes Arrows replaced by Zap. So this should be debuffed first.
    TH9xMZx.jpg0

Worship the 9 Titans (Golem, PEKKA, Lava Hound, Dragon, Giant Skeleton, Scorcher, Super PEKKA, Electro Dragon, Goblin Giant)
    Their card
    Obey the 4 Immortal Armies (Skeleton Army, Minion Horde, Goblin Gang, Critter Swarm)
    Teach the 12 Titan Babies (Golemite, Mini PEKKA, Baby Dragon, Lava Pup, Sparky, Inferno Dragon, Ice Golem, Balloon, Cannon Cart, Dropship, Flying Machine, Deployable Turret)
    Protect the 12 Peasants (Skeletons, Goblins, Spear Goblins, Minions, Bats, Critters, Fire Spirits, Ice Spirits, Crystal Critters, Critter Bats, Explosive Drones, Beta Minion)
    Babysit the Titan Grandchild (Zappy)

Check my AMA here
    Play in these Forum Games: Buy, sell, trash, Grant the Wish above you, Hurt and Heal, Complain the Card above you for the stupidest Reason, Admire the card above you for the smartest Reason, Two Lies, One Truth, Keep One, Drop One, Trash a Card, TPBM Game
    Show your feedback for these card ideas: Cold Skeleton, Thorns, Armored Giant, Battle Zeppelin, Medicine, Blessing, Dragon, Deployable Cannon, Warrior, Heavy Elite Barbarian, Boom Cannon, Crusher, Microwaver, Rocket Launcher, Barbarian Launcher, Grappler, S.I.M.O. Tower, Double Cannon, Flamethrower, Giant Hut
    This is my favorite discussion ever (not created by me): https://communityroyale.com/discussion/1676/how-arena-1-has-mirror-0-max-trophy#latest
  • MasterCalMasterCal Posts: 2,365Moderator
    edited March 2018
    Arrows imo are slowly shifting their way into the meta because of Minion Horde.

But on the other hand, Ice Golem + Zap or Ice Spirit + Zap can kill Minions, and those are the two more popular ways to kill a card, as many meta decks run either one or both nowadays.

Zap is kind of like Ice Golem, it is highly used doesn't need a nerf, mainly because it's an anti-meta card. I'd rather nerf Ice Spirit and Bats, then both of those cards won't be highly used anymore.

It's not like last year, when Zap could kill Goblins and had a use rate north of 90% on occasion :crsmirk:
    pv7u5U6.jpg

CR Stats PB: 4609 KT: 12. Card lvls: Mostly 11 with some lvl 10 Rares and lvl 12 Commons 91/91 cards unlocked. IGN: Hardcase Royale.

BS Stats: 16 Brawlers. IGN: ΜαΣτεπςαλ

Please read the Forum Rules

Join the CommunityRoyale Discord Server here: https://discord.gg/3PdFBp3
  • MathChampMathChamp Posts: 1,729Moderator
    I have suggested this idea before, but adding a third 2-elixir damage-dealing spell would shift the zap to have less usage.

I would suggest to add a frost nova spell. This would have enough power to kill goblins, but it's range would be small enough so that it can't kill all of the goblin barrel. A way to do that would be for the spell to have a 2-tile range, and it can't be placed straight onto buildings. So, it can only kill two goblins in the goblin barrel in that case.

It can also slow down troops for 1.5-2 sec, and it can target air&ground. Now, the log can still be used as an effective goblin barrel counter, and it has more range and knockback, so the frost nova can scoot its way into decks without boxing out the zap and log.

This, along with a buff to arrows (increased speed to target) will make it so that these 4 spells can be used for their purposes without boxing out each other.
    Currently subsiding in FFS Revamped
    IGN: ++[SV]++ | Player Tag: J9V99CY | PB: 5161 | 93/93 Cards
    Card Collection Levels: 6 Lvl 12, 21 Lvl 11, 35 Lvl 10, 29 Lvl 9, 2 Lvl 8

Deck: Royal Giant (12) - Barbarians (12) - Goblin Hut (11) - Furnace (11) - Mega Minion (12) - Baby Dragon (11) - Fireball (11) - Barbarian Barrel (11)
    math.jpg
    "Thou shalt not divide by zero" (Calculus says differently)
    Have any burning questions for me? Ask them here!
  • CarlsonCarlson Posts: 1,060Member
    edited March 2018
    The thing about Zap is that its completely powerful in ladder, but not too much in challenges, as there are goblins dominating (which you cannot one shot). The only choice to use in challenge is The Log to clean up those goblins, but be careful, as there are a lot of log bait decks dominating right now. If you want to have better protection against Sparky, Inferno Tower or Inferno Dragon, use Zap.
    Althoough, what makes me wonder is that Zap that is 2 levels better than Minions will one shot them. Zap one level better than any stab goblin will one shot it. Max level Zap can oneshot level 1 Princess and level 7 dart goblin. In the tournament level standard, it deals exactly the same damage as one Royal Giant attack, one Knight attack and one barbarian attack, which is very interesting. Also has the same damage as an Ewiz spawn damage.